Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 1 - The shock

I knew that this morning I was going to be laid off/fired.  I felt it last week when I was asked to leave a client that this meant the end of my tenure with the firm that I have worked with since September 11, 2001. 

I do not know what happened at my client.  I am not sure why they wanted me to leave and I do not think that I will ever be given a clear sense of what I did to cause them to be unhappy, but I do know that it will take me a while to come to terms with it and the loss of my job. 

I am struck by how much I have let my job define me over the last years.  I work increadibly hard and often this means that I often am giving up parts of myself to make that happen.  I don't know that I truly understood just how much of myself I had given up over the last few years.  This makes me very unhappy.

When I was walking home from the meeting with our CEO, I spent some time wondering what I could do to start moving this forward today.  I am exhausted.  I will likely not do anything productive for a few weeks if not more and I still have to figure out my severence package details, but the one thing that I knew I could do easily was start to write about what I was going through.

I am seeing this all as an opportunity to not only find another job, but to find another career.  A career that I love, that I want to go to everyday and that I am proud to do.  As you will see in future posts, I have a number of hurdles to climb over to figure that out, but I will get there.  Having faith in that, while being in this much shock, feels like all I have right now.

1 comment:

  1. I know you are almost one week into your layoff, but this post from a blog called "Clue Wagon" is great (alas, the blogger is no longer writing it, but she's leaving it up for a time).

    http://www.cluewagon.com/2009/12/9-things-to-do-in-your-first-week-of-unemployment/

    I wish you luck in this journey!

    ReplyDelete